What is Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Software?
Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Software, also commonly known as Laboratory Information System (LIS), helps to manage and track laboratory data while optimizing the overall process and activities within a lab.
LIMS can be used in different types of labs:
- Production labs (e.g., biotechnology, pharmaceutical)
- Clinical (e.g., oncology, dermatology)
- Food and beverage
- Natural sciences (environmental)
Laboratories can use LIMS systems to conduct tests more efficiently, standardize operations, and automate workflows.
LIMS packages can be configured in a variety of ways. The needs of each lab are different. One product may only cover basic sample tracking while another might focus on quality control, lab inventory management, and billing and invoicing.
Some LIMS products offer electronic lab notebooks (ELN) to help manage lab inventory. Some may integrate with scientific data management systems (SDMS) to help with instrument data and lab document generation.
Fundamentally, a LIMS product should:
- Track and manage lab data (e.g., inputs, samples, tests run, results)
- Be customizable to fit the very different needs of various types of labs
- Enable the sharing of data between instruments, facilities, and labs