When TikTok got its start, it was a kids’ platform, the home of lip-syncing and dancing. You would’ve been hard-pressed to find anyone over the age of 20 on the app.
But things have changed since then.
TikTok age demographics
According to a survey by the Pew Research Center, 40% of the people who use TikTok are over 30 years old.
Yes, you read that right: nearly half of all TikTok users are older than 30.
The median age on TikTok is now 26.
|Age||Percentage of users|
And that has exciting implications for marketing. Here’s why:
- Older age groups can be some of the highest-converting audiences on TikTok. Savannah Sanchez tweeted that women above the age of 35 were one of her top-converting age groups.
- There are plenty of parents on the platform, and they have different interests. In a blog post, TikTok wrote that parenting hashtags are huge: #family, #familytime, and #parenting are getting billions of views.
- You can market just about anything on TikTok. Sure, you can market stuff that appeals to kids. But statistics show that the parent audiences on TikTok often talk about things like home appliances, snacks, business, cars, and groceries. See where this is headed?
TikTok key stats and figures
- TikTok generated an estimated $4.6 billion revenue in 2021, a 142% increase year-on-year
- TikTok had 1.2 billion monthly active users in Q4 2021 and is expected to reach 1.5 billion by the end of 2022
- In China, TikTok is accessed by over 600 million users daily
- TikTok has been downloaded over three billion times
|Launch date||September 2016 (China); September 2017 (International)|
TikTok annual revenues
2022 (estimate): $10 billion
TikTok annual users
2022 (estimate): 1.5 billion
TikTok cumulative downloads
2022 (estimate): 4.0 billion
TikTok gender demographics
|Gender||% of users|
TikTok engagement (by country)
|Year||Usage per day (in minutes)|
If you’re not marketing on TikTok, there’s a good chance you’re missing out on a massive audience.
Advertising on TikTok is a smart way to reach your audience in a personalized, casual setting — and it often pays big dividends.